Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Apr 25 00:01:20 UTC 2004

At 17:00 4/24/2004, you wrote:
>So if you buy a copy of Windows XP and your modem manufacture doesn't
>provide drivers, that means Windows XP is not for you?  No, it means that
>you need to be careful checking your hardware compatibility.

I will add that there does seem to be a duality of positions here: when a
modem doesn't work with XP, it's the modem maker's fault for not providing
drivers. When the same modem fails to work with Linux, the problem is the
narrower scope of actual hardware support in Linux (and the modem maker is
off the hook).

Yes, Linux has fewer drivers available for lots of reasons, and that is a
problem. A big one. However, it is also true that most people do not blame
Windows if their new scanner doesn't work... they blame the manufacturer.
But get them to try Linux, and then it's *Linux* who does not support their
poor scanner.

I do not claim this to be the whole problem, but it is certainly one part
of the problem.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz