Fedora-1 to Fedora-2

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sun Apr 25 05:44:24 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 22, Pedro Fernandes Macedo did say:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> >(1) As and when Fedora-2 comes out,
> >will it be possible to update Fedora-1 to Fedora-2
> >(as opposed to installing Fedora-2 from scratch)?
> >
> Yes.. you can do a yum update or apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade .
> You only need to edit your configuration files for yum and/or apt-get.

Hello, I'm thankful to Timothy for asking this question before I got
around to thinking of it <grin>...

I'm glad to see your answer Pedro, but would you mind giving a little
more detail on what specific changes would be needed in the yum.conf
file???

I'm no yum expert, but having found a good example yum.conf with
several suggested mirror sites configured, and embedded comment lines
advising which optional repositories might not be mutually compatible,
that I've been happily using:
[root at localhost jtwdyp]# yum update
with simply blissful results ever since...

Which brings me to another question.

I am a little concerned with the packages I installed from the
freshrpm sites (Such as pine, & lyx...).

Whats the odds that I might miss an important update for something like
pine because of there needing to be a separate repository for each core
release?

I'm presuming  the "$releasever" variable in the repository pathnames
would automatically start using the value of "2" in paths like:
"http://dag.freshrpms.net/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag"
But I have no idea how long it will be before URLs like for example:
"http://dag.freshrpms.net/fedora/2/"
will even exist. Never mind when it will contain updates for _ALL_
the packages that were listed in:
"http://dag.freshrpms.net/fedora/1/"