First fedora install attempt fails

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Apr 25 10:34:32 UTC 2004

Greetings;

I have an old rh8.0 with all updates machine, currently running kernel
2.6.5-mm6.  But the gtk stuff has stopped working and the more I try
to update, the more dependency hell I get into. The latest fltk is
installed, but alsamixergui can't find it even after I fix the
configure script.  The latest atk, pango, and glib are now installed,
but the gtk+-2.4.0 configure bails out claiming the 2.2.3 version of
glib its finding is too old.  Thats a pkg-config problem I think, but
NDI how to fix it.  gkrellm and gftp refuse to configure because Xft
is fubared, and I've checkinstalled the last 2 versions without
effecting that.  Is there any way to make pkg-config update its
database files?

All this BS started with a failed attempt to build the new X.org X
release about 2 weeks ago, which never got through the initial make,
and to my knowledge never installed anything.  But thats when this
system started losing its ability to run anything that needed gtk or
Xft.

Using k3b in the auto burn mode, I made disks of the 4 iso's of
FC2-test2.  The auto burn mode chose DAO.  Disk 1 was not bootable.
But I could mount it and read it just fine.  So I reburnt another in
TAO mode, which was also readable but not bootable.

This machine can boot a knopix or mepix cdr/w just fine, so whats the
deal with fedora?

How can it be made bootable so it can be used to update an install?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)