Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

Darryl Luff darryl at snakegully.nu
Sun Apr 25 10:47:15 UTC 2004

John Lagrue schrieb:

> The "not having a clue" seems to be on the part of those who can't see
> straight. Fred's whole article is about the lack of ease of installing
> Linux with any hardware. Hiss whole thrust is that all varieties of
> Windows works with his hardware, whereas Linux doesn't. Of course that
> is because lack of drivers provided by the hardware manufacturers, but
> that is beside the point. The whole point being that Linux is still
> not entirely ready for the home market, when compared to Micro$oft's
> installations.
>
> What we do about that is another discussion.
>
> John

Actually for a lot of hardware Linux works far better than Windows.
Mainly because of the way drivers are designed for generic chipsets
rather than for specific products. When I popped out my 3Com PCMCIA card
and popped in another brand, Linux automatically loaded the right driver
and applied my eth0 settings, and amazingly the SSH session I had open
to another machine was still active!

It took me a week of downloads and reboots to get the same card running
under windows 2000 on the same machine.

New video cards seem to be the only hardware I have driver trouble with
under Linux now!