First fedora install attempt fails

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 25 15:48:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 06:34:32AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Using k3b in the auto burn mode, I made disks of the 4 iso's of
> FC2-test2.  The auto burn mode chose DAO.  Disk 1 was not bootable.
> But I could mount it and read it just fine.

There is a known problem with Disk 1 of FC2-test2.  The common work
around was to boot with Disk 1 of FC2-test1 and switch.

Since FC2-test3 is expected any day now, you have the choice of
downloading and burning the older FC2-test1 disk or jumping on
FC2-test3 as soon as it is soup.  The goal in the schedule for test3
is early this week:

    http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

I would recommend FC2-test3.  If you load FC2-test2 expect to do some
serious archive surfing to make it through the various transitions
that the testers helped each other through as you update.  I expect
FC2-test3 to be in good shape....

Bandwidth for the download of the iso images will be in great demand
so use a mirror or bittorrent:

    http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
    http://fedora.redhat.com/download/
    http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/      <-- note the Fedora RPM package for bittorrent