XF86Config Errors

Aaron Hughes hughesac at clarkson.edu
Sun Apr 25 16:21:09 UTC 2004

Austin Isler wrote:

> I recently was given a computer to "mess" around with. I went to
> install Fedora Core 1 on it
> and I chose the GUI install option. My ViewSonic PF790 went into sleep
> mode and
> showed me nothing. So I decided to install in text mode, once I had
> Fedora installed I went to
> load up in runlevel 5 and again monitor went into sleep mode. So I
> rebooted in runlevel 3 and
> used lynx to google around. I found out that the video card in the box
> is a S3 Savage card,
> and there has been some issues with that and XFree86. I researched
> some more and found
> that if I changed my vsync and hsync in XF86Config, that my help. So I
> changed it to a setting they gave on the site and ran startx. X
> started but in 840x680, bleh.
> What I want is to get it loaded in 1024x768, but I dont know the
> correct vsync and hsync to do this. I have changed it several time
> from suggestions I saw on the net, but no go. Anyone have any idea
> what im doing wrong and can you please help me?
>
> Austin Isler

I had the same problem with my video card(nvidia tnt2) and monitor (some
old gateway crystalscan).  The only thing that solved it for me was
installing redhat 9 and then updating to fedora core 1.  Even when I
selected the correct video card and monitor settings I had problems when
I just installed Fedora core 1 but if I updated from redhat 9 which
properly detected all my settings it worked fine.

Good luck
chunk