smartd problems

Aaron Konstam akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Apr 25 21:34:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 10:48:52AM -0500, Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> Daniel Roesen wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 11:26:22AM -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> >>2 SCSI drives ...
> >>

> >Bingo. Guessed so. SMART is IDE... smartd terminates itself if it
> >doesn't find any SMART-capable IDE drive. So just turn it off.
> >
> >Then again, it shouldn't terminate _abnormally_ so that the PID file
> >is left over. Can you please file this in Bugzilla?
> >
> Not true. SCSI drives can be monitored with smartd as well:
>
> --------------------- Smartd Begin ------------------------
>
> /dev/sda :
>   2 Time(s): Temperature changed -2 Celsius to 33 Celsius since last report
>   2 Time(s): Temperature changed 2 Celsius to 35 Celsius since last report
>
> ---------------------- Smartd End -------------------------
The above output can be produced but it is not produced for all drives
which leaves me to think this report of attributes changing values is
idiomatic to some drives but is not really of great concern so at
least one manufacturer said.

Actually so far smartd output is pretty useless compared to the output
of smartctl which tells you if your drive is about to fail.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.