non-gecko-based browser ??? Are there any for FC1 ????

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Apr 27 02:39:37 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 26, Daniel Stonier did say:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:44:22 -0400 (EDT), Joe(theWordy)Philbrook
> <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:
> > Are there any functional browsers for fc1 that don't use mozilla's
> > rendering engine? (preferably one that can render pages written for IE)
>
> Try Opera - it's the browser I use by default now and one of the older
> browsers around and not based on the gecko engine. Despite that it's
> probably just as innovative if not more so than moz.
>
> http://www.opera.com
>
> It's not open source, but you can download the full version for free
> if you dont mind putting up with the ad banner in the top corner.

Thanks Daniel for the info.

Actually I'm glad to hear that Opera is available for FC1 <see below> But
I'm even gladder to hear that it's not based on gecko. (actually I LIKE the
gecko engine, but my whole point was that until/unless ALL browsers use
the same exact standards, I wanted choices.

I've used Opera (occasionally) on my Mandrake 9.1 installation before.
I suppose I read too much into the first part of the browser
identification part of the help->about menu choice I get there.

-> Browser identification
-> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Linux 2.4.21-0.13mdk i686) Opera 7.11 [en]

I'd have to agree that it is innovative, though in my case I was
frustrated by it. I remember having a hard time learning how to avoid
it's stealing part of my screen width for that pesky sidebar... I do not
like my primary text window to ever have less than 100 percent of the
available screen width. I can't stop web designers from using frames or
tables to do that to my view of the text on their page, but when "my own
software" does it to me, I have to concentrate real hard to stop an
instant <Alt>+<F4> reflex... And I really like the Mozilla/firefox "type
ahead" keyboard link indexing plus the ability to quickly change the
displayed font size with <ctrl>+<+> & <ctrl>+<-> shortcuts. Still for
occasional use I liked having opera installed.

However, I wasn't aware I could get it for fedora. At least not in a
package that I could get yum to update anyway...

-> [root at localhost /]# yum info opera
-> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
-> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
-> Server: Dag APT Repository
-> Server: FreshRPMs
-> Server: macromedia.mplug.org - Flash Plugin
-> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
-> Finding updated packages
-> Downloading needed headers
-> Looking in Available Packages:
->
-> Looking in Installed Packages:
->
-> [root at localhost /]#

I then decided that even though fedora is my 1st experiment with having
a continually updated system, I'd accept having a copy of opera that
wasn't getting updated because I'd seldom use it. So I tried an quick
rpmfind.net search which came up with 10 rpms (all for SuSE Linux?)

At which point I found the rpm I had used for the MDK installation which
when peeking at it's internal description via mc appeared to have redhat
roots:

-> The binaries was built on a RedHat 6.2 installation using gcc-2.95.3.

However:

-> [root at localhost dnlo]# rpm -i opera-7.11-20030515.1-static-qt.i386.rpm
-> error: Failed dependencies:
->         libXm.so.2 is needed by opera-7.11-20030515.1
-> [root at localhost dnlo]#

Now I suppose I could have tried "yum install libXm.so.2" but I didn't...

What did you have to do to get opera working on FC1???