Start again on the newbie's networking problem. Re: Need help (of course) setting up network

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Mon Apr 26 19:41:52 UTC 2004

At 13:00 4/25/2004, you wrote:
I installed Fedora Core 1 and everything seems to be working well,
including being able to use the internet. (Although, I think I stuffed up
my firewall settings yesterday). However I need the help of a kind patient
person who can walk me through our simple 3 computer network setup. I am
the only one on Linux, the other two are on WindowsXP. Mine however is the
only computer with internet access.
 You're going to need to provide a lot more detail when you ask a question,
but we'll try to help you.
 Now, assuming that your computer (A) connects to the Internet and that the
other two computers (B and C) run WinXP and connect to yours, I suggest
you:
 1. First make sure that you have two Ethernet cards in your A computer,
and that A can connect to the Internet *and* to B and C.
 2. Once basic networking has been established (don't worry about the rest
of it until then), go to http://www.shorewall.net and download the
Shorewall RPM package. Also download the "Two-Interface Quick Guide" and it
will show you how to give B and C access to the Internet via A.
 Post back here if you have more questions. And remember, when starting a
new conversation, press the button in your mail program for a *new*
message... do not reply to an existing message since this confuses the
threads.

Did starting a new thread help? Hope so. But it looks confusing to me.

OK. My machine is dual booted win98/Fedora 1. Networking has worked fine
with windows, but my 14 year old son sorted that out. We are on a hub so I
don't need 2 ethernet cards. My big problem is I don't know how to
configure the networking files and samba. Also LIsa won't start up for me
which I think is another init config file problem (eg me being blonde
again!). Please tell me what kind of other information you need to know. I
like to use the KDE desk top and have somewhere picked up a utility called
smb4k which looks like a gui samba configuration interface and network
neighbourhood thingy in one. (But the documentation is primitive to say the
least). I feel like I probably need to start from scratch.

Shelagh
 Cheers,
 "First, do no harm" J.Holt
 Huh?
 This is from the Hippocratic Oath... who the heck is J. Holt?
 This is in the context of education. J Holt tried to reform education in
America in the 60s & 70s. And yes he probably did quote from the
Hippocratic oath. SOM
--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com