Start again on the newbie's networking problem. Re: Need help (of course) setting up network

antonio montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Tue Apr 27 06:06:35 UTC 2004

Shelagh Manton wrote/ha scritto, On/il 26/04/2004 21:41:

> Did starting a new thread help? Hope so. But it looks confusing to me.
>
> OK. My machine is dual booted win98/Fedora 1. Networking has worked
> fine with windows, but my 14 year old son sorted that out. We are on a
> hub so I don't need 2 ethernet cards. My big problem is I don't know
> how to configure the networking files and samba. Also LIsa won't start
> up for me which I think is another init config file problem (eg me
> being blonde again!). Please tell me what kind of other information
> you need to know. I like to use the KDE desk top and have somewhere
> picked up a utility called smb4k which looks like a gui samba
> configuration interface and network neighbourhood thingy in one. (But
> the documentation is primitive to say the least). I feel like I
> probably need to start from scratch.
>
> Shelagh

Internet sharig and file sharing are two completely separate issues.

1) I am on a hub and I have two separate cards (one for the Internet and
one for home/office): setting is much easier and safer, and traffic is
completely separate.Adding a card is cheap and easy.
You set the first card to Internet and try it: if it works you set the
network parameters on second card.
But you have to tell the machine that is a router (see file /etc/systcl.con)

kernel.sysrq=0
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=1
kernel.core_uses_pid=1

At this point you must tell the machine that must do some NAT (Network
address translation) by setting appropriate iptables file in /etc/sysconfig
This is mine...with eth0 card to the internal and ppp0 as Internet
connection

# Firewall configuration written by lokkit
# Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
# Note: ifup-post will punch the current nameservers through the
#       firewall; such entries will *not* be listed here.
*filter
:FORWARD DROP [0:0]
:INPUT DROP [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
COMMIT
# Generated by webmin
*mangle
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
COMMIT
# Completed
# Generated by webmin
*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
-A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
COMMIT
# Completed

Samba configuration in a separate message after confirmation of success!!!

In any case I suggest to Install Webmin (that you can download at Www.webmin.com)
--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla 1.6 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 1