non-gecko-based browser - Opera

Daniel Stonier snorri_dj at operamail.com
Tue Apr 27 11:32:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:39:37 -0400 (EDT), Joe(theWordy)Philbrook
<jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:

> Actually I'm glad to hear that Opera is available for FC1 <see below> But
> I'm even gladder to hear that it's not based on gecko. (actually I LIKE
> the
> gecko engine, but my whole point was that until/unless ALL browsers use
> the same exact standards, I wanted choices.
>
> I've used Opera (occasionally) on my Mandrake 9.1 installation before.
> I suppose I read too much into the first part of the browser
> identification part of the help->about menu choice I get there.
>
> -> Browser identification
> -> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Linux 2.4.21-0.13mdk i686) Opera
> 7.11 [en]
>
> I'd have to agree that it is innovative, though in my case I was
> frustrated by it. I remember having a hard time learning how to avoid
> it's stealing part of my screen width for that pesky sidebar... I do not
> like my primary text window to ever have less than 100 percent of the
> available screen width. I can't stop web designers from using frames or
> tables to do that to my view of the text on their page, but when "my own
> software" does it to me, I have to concentrate real hard to stop an
> instant <Alt>+<F4> reflex... And I really like the Mozilla/firefox "type
> ahead" keyboard link indexing plus the ability to quickly change the
> displayed font size with <ctrl>+<+> & <ctrl>+<-> shortcuts. Still for
> occasional use I liked having opera installed.
>
> However, I wasn't aware I could get it for fedora. At least not in a
> package that I could get yum to update anyway...

Best place for alot of things is right from the horse's mouth :)

http://www.opera.com/download/

It should detect you have linux installed and will taked you to the linux
download
list. They have there a list of pre-compiled rpm's, but only up to redhat
9 that I
notice. In any case, I've never used the shared versions which are distro
dependant. Grab the static version. It contains all the libraries needed
within
the binary file (as opposed to shared which uses shared libraries on your
system - hence distro dependant). Since you are only ever running one
instance of
opera there really is no disadvantage with the static version (that I know
of).

One of the things I love about Opera is its design philosophy, which is
the same
reason I use Enlightenment as a desktop - everything is configurable
and if you dont want something there, you can move it, float it, or just
blow it
away if you like. It's all about providing you with the choice, not making
the
choices for you.

For instance the bar on the left that you mentioned, clicking on
View -> Hotlist gives you a few options. I float it so it sits there just
like another web page (hidden behind the other tabs unless I bring it up).
You can also have it off if you please.

The browser identification you were talking about is interesting. Opera
gives you
the option of letting your browser identify itself to javascripting
sniffers as
something other than Opera if you want. Especially useful for poorly
scripted pages
which sniff *only* for Netscape and IE and will kick you out if you are
not either.
(much better html sniffs to see what javascripting capabilities you have
rather than
sniff your actual browser version) Opera renders every page bar one or two
that
I've ever been to fine (usually IE javascripting like someone mentioned
earlier).
I had a mathematics publisher's web site kick me out once - I came back in
under
the guise of good ol' IE and managed to navigate their site fine.

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/

Gives all the tips on customising and navigating around the interface you
need.

Cheers,
Daniel

email:snorri_dj at operamail.com