gdm_cleanup_children: child xxxx crashed of signal 11

Andreas bluehat at gmx.at
Tue Apr 27 14:20:58 UTC 2004

Am Die, den 27.04.2004 schrieb Alexander Dalloz um 15:29:
> Am Di, den 27.04.2004 schrieb Andreas um 15:13:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > after starting X my fedora-desktop is going on and off and in the
> > system-log are the following statements.
> >
> > Apr 27 14:55:21 localhost gdm[4670]: gdm_cleanup_children: child 5281
> > crashed of signal 11
>
> [ snipped more of this ]
>
> > I hope anyone has an idea and could help me to solve the problem.
>
> > Many thanks in advance!
> >
> > Andreas

Thanks for your immidiate response.

> This typically happens when you misconfigured gdm (gdm.conf). What did
> you do?

The last what I've done ist to install/upgrade packages using 'synaptic'
(I'm very new on Linux and I'm trying out some things), but I'm shure I
never changed gdm.conf directly.

> Be more specific about your actions and system.

System is Fedora 1 on dual-boot machine with Windows 2000 (Bootmanager
is GRUB)
Kernel is 2.4.22-1.2188.ntpl
Pentium III with 700 MHz
Two HD's one for Linux and one for win2000

> check
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log too.

Because I'm too new to Linux/Fedora I could'nt see whats wrong. Please
tell me on which part of the files  I should have a look (the Mail I
sent before goes to moderator because I've sent both files included and
that's to big for listserver).

Andreas