converting user to linux

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Tue Apr 27 15:14:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 10:35, Jay Daniels wrote:
> i see this as an oppertunity to convert her to Linux on her Sony VAIO
> laptop.  however, i don't want to hear her bitchin' and complaining for
> the next 20 years or ever how long i have left;)
My wife and 6 year old daughter use FC1. Sure makes my life easier
without a Windoze box at home. [FYI we have very different hardware than
you...much older and a desktop]....YMMV.

> she basically uses the laptop as a desktop pc to
> read mail via a webmail service, surf the net, purchase online,
> save family photos to cdr, and print stuff.  she would use X almost
> entirely with the mouse under a normal user account.  she also has no
> interest in learning unix/linux commands or the shell.
Ditto usage wise.

Have you ever set up her/your model printer under *nix?  that was the
only technical trouble I had with the conversion.  I bought a new $60
ink jet after a knock down drag out fight with CUPS using an HP LaserJet
1000.  Also, she has 100's of old .doc files and some lost their
formatting in OO, mostly font related.  This has been the only real
trouble [from the wife].

> has anyone tried to convert someone to Linux, how did it go?
To help keep the peace in case of trouble, you may want to create a dual
boot system if you have the drive space.

Maybe I should also mention that we're still married and never fight
about computers directly =}

> jay

-Craig