UTF-8 editing problems with GEdit

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser at pmbenterprises.com
Tue Apr 27 15:32:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 11:13, d l wrote:
> Is the xfce conf parser UTF aware? if not saving to UTF
> should break things. Check the encoding of menu.xml and
> save with same encoding as the original then.

Thanks for responding, d l...

I believe I figured out the problem, but first to answer your
question...

XFce requires UTF-8 coding to work, so that is a given in that
'menu.xml' must be UTF-8 encoded, through and through. It apparently has
no tolerance for bad coding. :0)

It occurred to me just a few minutes ago that I might have broken up the
coding in some way that wasn't obvious to me before. I went back and
experimented with some more editing. I believe the problem was the use
one or more illegal character entries (like adding "&" to a title) and
that was causing it to fail. I seem to recall that you need to precede
each of these with an "\" to keep it from being interpreted, just like
at a BASH console. My current edited menu is working because it doesn't
have any illegal entries now. I will play with it later on to see if I
am correct, but I think it's been all my fault all along.

Ignorance is never bliss. :0(

Thanks for you help, anyway.

Paul