Switch over stories

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue Apr 27 18:53:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 14:03, duncan brown wrote:
> howdy partners,
>   i'm looking to rustle up some rootin'-tootin' linux conversion stories,
> be it from mac, winders or that there bee-ess-dee.  i'd like the
> positive and negative aspects of everything, and i'd really like to hear
> from the cowpokes who aren't ready to be full blown computer cowboys,
> the ones that are still a little green.  so, if'n ya don't mind sittin'
> fer a spell and writin' something for me, it'd be mighty big of ya and i
> know a linux advocate that'd be pretty pleased.
>
> -d
>

> -+(duncan brown
> -+(duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
> -+(http://www.linuxadvocate.net
>
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\                        - against microsoft attachments
>
> Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy
> evidence of the fact.
>                 -- George Eliot
I remember running RH5.1 when it first came out and deciding I would get
rid of everything I didn't need, like all those little /dev/files like
ptty* using rm -fr * (who needs all that garbage anyways??).
When I realized I goofed I spent the whole night using mknod to put back
the stuff I needed. Unfortunately (NOBODY TOLD ME!!!) I didn't know that
nodes were assigned.
So when I tried to reboot @#$%^&*&^%$#.
The next day I reloaded.
 --