Is this better? - was Hugh's long .sig

Chris Jones linux at stow-jones.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 19:41:46 UTC 2004

Chris Kloiber wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 19:06, Douglas Furlong wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 11:08, Hugh Foster wrote:
>>

>>>In order to fit this list better, I have moved my subscription from my
>>>servisair.com address to this, my home account, the software for which
>>>can format mail dependent on where it's going. It will cost me, as I
>>>have to dialup for this rather than use the LAN, but if it keeps the
>>>peace, it's worth it.
>>>
>>>My apologies for the disruption.
>>>

>>I think your sig here is okay, but do you really want to sign off with an apology for disruption? ;)
>>
>>I think the main problem is not so much you, just the general attitude
>>towards Sig's. It's fair (I think) to get upset when reading a list and
>>having HUGE sigs put on every thing.
>>
>>Companies should really try to shorten them, and also have it so that if
>>posting to a world readable list, then at worst have a sig that just
>>says this person does not represent the company in their opinion. As
>>apposed to every thing else.
>>
>>I am currently resisting implementing signatures at my company until
>>they come up with one that is not 500 lines long.
>>
>>Doug
>>

>Let them come up with all the legaleese they want- on a web page linked
>from a 1-2 line company sig, leaving the other 2-3 lines for the
>employee. That way everybody is happy.

My understanding is that any sig with more than 4 lines in it breaches
netiquette. Therefore my sig is 4 lines (or less).

Also, as I was (forceably) reminded on a windoze MTA mailing list some
years ago, one should always place the characters "--  " on a line by
itself before the sig block - just so that mailing list software that
works properly can strip the entire sig block from incoming mail before
sending it out.

Just my £0.02p worth....

--
Chris Jones