kudzu and modems.- other strange questions

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Apr 27 20:03:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 02:28:49PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> akonstam at trinity.edu (akonstam at trinity.edu) said:
> > I can't understand the behavior of kudzu in respect to my serial
> > modem. After initial installation it detects the modem but after that
> > it is ignored. What I mean is I can remove the modem and kudzu ignores
> > the change, or I can remove the modem from the kudzu database and
> > kudzu ignores the change. I can run: kudzu --class MODEM and kudzu
> > will remove all my hardware from its database except the MOUSE but it
> > still ignores the modem.
> >
> > How can I get kudzu to notice that I have  changed, removed or added
> > the modem?
>
> Probably? Fix the serial probe so it's less flaky. :/
>
> One thing to note is that it will not find any serial devices if
> something is holding the serial port open at the time. (or just
> has a stale lock file)
>
> Bill
As fasr as I knows there are no stale lock files around. It it just me
that sees these strange things. Try another one. I communicate between
my home and work machines using a dial-up thime. I just installed a
56K modem at home. It is well known that 56K modems receiver faster
than they send. Now does in make sense to put a 56K modem at work
also. The modem at home can not recieve faster than the modem at work
can send. So in this case a 33K modem woud seem to be suficient at
work. It is hard to find anyone to comment on this anomaly. THe
technical cupport person reluctingly agreed but denied the company's
ststement on the data sheet for the modem (which some one else
commented on) that their is a jumper that can be set for linuc use.
Then he sent me a process to ready the modem for Linux which did
nothing. I think I will have to be satisied with what I have but I
remain confused.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University