web cams? recommendations?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Apr 27 23:22:50 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 28.04.2004 schrieb Peter Smith um 01:02:

> Just a quick question--does anyone have any webcam-on-Linux
> recommendations?  I'm hoping to get a 640x480 USB cam that is compatible
> w/ Linux for not too much $$ and am learning that this doesn't seem
> possible.  Any recommendations welcome!  I'll take any answers off list..
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

I can recommend USB webcams support by this driver:

http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/

I myself have a Phillips PCVC740K "ToUCam Pro" and am happy with it so
far. Requesting VGA resolution you should careful read:

http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/faq.html#Q3

and decide whether you would then need to spend more than ~80USD on the
cam to get one with a better CCD.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 01:18:48 up 1 day, 7 users, load average: 1.44, 0.80,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]