converting user to linux

Vince Scimeca vscimeca at jupitermedia.com
Wed Apr 28 01:33:32 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels wrote:
> Thanks duncan and everyone.
>
> After I explained to her about the Microsoft license agreement, she
> seemed more inclinded to install Linux but yet has her doubts that
> everything will work.  I also explained about the kernel 2.4 ACPI
> issues and that FC2 had kernel version 2.6.* and that may solve those
> issues.
>
> Still, I am going to give Windows one last chance.  We will purchase a
> commercial anti-virus today and see if it fixes the virus/trojan
> problems.
>
> The real problem is she let's other family members use her laptop and
> they probably open some attachment that was infected that the free
> webmail service did not detect.  Windows updates are run nightly and
> her system should be up to date, but it was infected anyway and AVG
> didn't work.  It detects but does not get rid of the virus.  She seems
> to have multiple virus' that replicate themselves.
>
> If that doesn't work, I'm trashing XP and will attempt to install
> fedora Sunday.
>
> Although galeon is not included in fedora, that's usually the frist
> thing I install on my linux boxes.  She has used Galeon on my box and
> really likes this browser.  Perhaps this is the first step to
> converting her to Linux.  She also likes all the free games and
> oowriter.
>
> I'm so tired of her asking me how to do this or do that in Windows
> XP.  She knows linux has it's quirks but she also knows I have files
> on my box which I saved years ago and never seem to lose anything.  I
> attribute that to Linux being a rock solid os!
>
> Let you know how it goes.
>

> jay

Jay - FWIW I had the same issue with my wife's laptop that you seem to
having; inundated with viruses, spyware, general windoze bizarreness
etc.  It seemed the only way to resolve the issues she was having was to
rebuild he computer every other week (she uses an IBM ThinkPad 600X).
Needless to say I got real tired real quick of doing these re-installs,
updates, reboots etc.  I asked her what specifically she used the laptop
for.  Her response was Email, browsing, docs, spreadsheets, and Instant
messenger.  I said no problem, I am going to move you to linux.  I built
her laptop with RH9 last summer and she unow ses Mozilla, Evolution,
Open Office and Gaim.  I am not exaggerating when I tell you she (I)
have had not one problem with her laptop since.  I am not suggesting
this is the case for everyone, but I am very very happy to say it has
worked for us.

Vince