recommending reiserfs?

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Wed Apr 28 01:59:14 UTC 2004

Em Ter, 2004-04-27 às 19:44, Benno Goedhart escreveu:
> And thanks to people like you it's not getting any more popular.
> ReiserFS is evolving and getting better every time. I've used ReiserFS
> exclusively since I'm using Linux since last year summer. First on
> Gentoo and now on Fedora. I never had any problems with it. Even today
> when I had to reset my computer the hard way (Fedora locked up) I
> haven't lost any data.
>
> Ext3 maybe legacy and very good supported and proven. But it's a really
> slow FS and the journalling is terrible.

Benno,

I have to second Alexander's opinion. Once we had a problem with a
debian machine installed on reiserfs. Sadly , when I lost all my hope
and needed to check if the disk had bad blocks , I got a message saying
that the -c switch wasn't implemented on fsck.reiserfs and that I should
contribute to the development of reiserfs. I lost all the data , almost
lost my job (one of the professors had important data on that disk) and
I didn't even have the chance to see if the disk was problematic. I had
to do a destructive test to see if it was ok.
Now , should I trust ext3 because it is legacy , very good supported and
proven or should I choose reiserfs , which is not complete and whose
author asks for money for improvements? I guess I'll choose ext3... or
maybe jfs or xfs... Because so far , I've never had any problems with
ext3 and I've had only one problem with XFS , but it was due to a bad
hard disk on my machine , that caused random locks , even during fsck..

And I trully believe that ext3 is a better option if you dont want to
use XFS or JFS.. On some tests I saw , ext3 was just a bit behind reiser
, but was considered the best choice because of its wide usage and
completeness..

just my R$0,02...

--
Pedro Macedo