converting user to linux

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Wed Apr 28 04:22:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:44:11AM -0700, Clifford Snow wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 08:49, Jay Daniels wrote:
> > Thanks duncan and everyone.
> >
> > After I explained to her about the Microsoft license agreement, she
> > seemed more inclinded to install Linux but yet has her doubts that
> > everything will work.  I also explained about the kernel 2.4 ACPI
> > issues and that FC2 had kernel version 2.6.* and that may solve those
> > issues.
>
> <snip>
> You might want to try Knoppix, www.knoppix.net, or gnoppix,
> www.gnoppix.net, (I know this is a Fedora list...)  Both should run from
> the cdrom without having to install.  It should give her a chance to see
> if she likes linux.
>
> It has been reported that knoppix does a good job identifying hardware
> and may work on your sony laptop.

I went to the Gnoppix site, but it says Gnoppix is based on Debian 3.0
(woody).  In my experience with this version of Debian Linux, it has
much less hardware support than Fedora.  In fact, I could not get
Debian (current stable release) to install on my server I am using now
with the adaptec 2120S raid controller and it did not detect my intel
e1000 builtin network devices either.  I read a page on how to get the
2120s controller working but the drivers rely on a RH 9.0 kernel! and
the debian installer would not accept the drivers he compiled for the
nics.

Perhaps Gnoppix is based on Woody but they have updated many of the
apps and Linux kernel?  Sounds like a good idea though to test the
laptop if Gnoppix has developed into it's distro - away from woody?

Well, I "think" I got all the virus and trojans removed.  But it still
seems like a lost cause.  I simply don't trust XP and find it
unreliable.  Like the other user stated, Windows is waste of money and
I don't want to spend anymore upgrading Windows or buying Window's
software.

However, since she seems to think it's fixed, Linux has slipped her
mind for the moment.

jay