recommending reiserfs?

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Wed Apr 28 04:16:32 UTC 2004

At Wed, 28 Apr 2004 it looks like Thomas Zehetbauer composed:

> I am using ReiserFS for years now and the only near data loss situation
> I have experienced was my lilo.message file becoming unreadable due to a
> bug in the new unpack tail ioctl(). But even then Hans' team provided me
> with excellent support and I regained access to this file using the 2.3
> linux development kernel where that bug had already been fixed.
>
> I would however never trust my important data to any file system nor any
> disk drive without having a backup. Additionally you should not blame
> the file system for your broken hardware especially when your disk drive
> lies about data having been written when it is lost from the write back
> cache on power failure.

In my first experience working with MySQL, we were recommended
to format that particular partition to Reiser for performance
reasons.  That's just my initial experience and I had to setup
four servers so far, will keep you posted...

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076