signature.asc files

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed Apr 28 04:32:01 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 27, Christopher Ness  did say:

> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 14:52, David Collantes wrote:
> > On 4/27/2004 2:50 PM, Christopher Ness wrote:
> > > My last message was mangled.  I've attached it here, hopefully it will
> > > get through this time.  Not sure if it's an Evolution bug or the list
> > > software.
> >
> > Still no message. Try not signing it to see how it goes.
>
> Actually it's only when I reply to your messages I have these problems.
> I've given up though.  I also put some old MIME boundries into the
> message that may have caused it to be problematic.
>
> Evolution shows no problems in sent mail though.  Weird.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

Pardon my intrusion. But I'd like to mention this is definitely not an
Evolution only problem. I've noticed a similar problem with these
messages from pine 4.58. Like you Chris, it only manifests itself during the
reply process. The attached text doesn't make it to the composer. It is
however, still part of the message unless I specifically delete the
attachments from the message. So it does show up in the sent-mail copy.
But since it didn't pass through the composer, it doesn't get marked
with ">" quote characters nor is there a line indicating that
"On <when>,<somebody> said:"

To get around this problem I can <before starting the reply>either copy
the text to the clipboard or export the message to a tmp file. Then
while composing, I either paste from the clipboard, or read in the tmp
file. Then delete the attachments from the reply header. And manually
insert the appropriate "On <when>,<somebody> said:" line and any needed
">" chars. And, of course, trim out any undesirable lines from the
[pasted/read] in text.

This isn't really so difficult as to make me complain about the .asc
sigs. But I would like to know if this has anything to do with the lists
software. or if pine would screw this up if this were directly mailed to
me. Would one of you be so kind as to send an off-list reply directly to
my e-mail address and sign it the same way. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks