fc1 / postscript / hplj1100 woes

John Aegard johnzo at sff.net
Wed Apr 28 08:01:20 UTC 2004

Hi all.

I'm running FC1 with an HP Laserjet 1100, configured entirely
using the redhat tools.  It's using the recommended ljet4 driver.
The page size is set to US Legal in the Printer Configuration
interface.  I can print legal-sized documents directly from
OpenOffice without any difficulty.

I have an OpenOffice document that's on 7"x8.5" pages.  I want to
print this document booklet-style on legal (8.5"x14") paper--with
the pages 2-up and ordered so that I can fold the double-sided
pages into a nice booklet.

I'm printing my document to disk (setting the print size to US
Legal in OpenOffice's printer properties dialog) and then I'm
using this pstops command to reorder and 2-up my pages:

pstops -plegal -b \
"4:1L(14.5in,0in)+-2L(14.5in,7in),-3L(14.5in,-0in)+0L(14.5in,7in)"
[infile] [outfile]

When I look at the resulting file in ggv, the pages look perfect.
However, when I print them on my LJ1100, the page contents are
shifted up 3" on the page -- as if it doesn't understand that it
has legal paper, and will print only on the top 11" of the page.

Strangely, when I switched the printer driver to hpijs, the file
printed perfectly.  So I do have a workaround, but I would prefer
to use the ljet4 driver if possible -- the text quality is
superior with ljet4.  And I'd like to understand what's going on.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

thanks!

-JA.
--
http://www.johnzo.com  :  where the carnival goes to die