Re: How to reinstall Grub after a win install ?

neil a écrit :

Salvatore Di Nardo wrote:

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 10:00, yavorsky gaetan wrote:
Hi,
For a test I had to install a window$ on my server, on a separate drive ( but on the same ctl ).
Of course, now,  the boot loader is the BillGates'one.
As I previously used the megaraid driver , I couldn't make a FC1 boot disk.
Running the FC1 CD-1, I can go into rescue mode, and my "old" system is mounted on /mnt/sysimage.
I can acces /mnt/sysimage/boot
But now ?
Regards
Gaetan

this might work:

1) Enter in rescue mode with your CDROM

2) chroot /mnt/sys.."something" ( where u will find your existing linux)

3) type grub and enter

4) reboot

Yeah - It'll be chroot /mnt/sysimage/
you'll need to run grub-install. This will replace the first 512bytes of your primary disk with the grub bootloader.

You'll be able to access your windows slice (but I would recommend not doing that ;-)) by editing grub to point to it your dos slice. You'll need these options - obviously change (hd0,0) to point to your windows slice:

title MyTechnicallyInferiorOperatingShambles
rootnoverify (hd0,0) chainloader +1

neil

Thanks
Gaetan