why download the isos

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Wed Apr 28 14:17:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 05:57:21PM -0400, Aaron Hughes wrote:
> Can't you change your settings in yum.conf to get updates from a fedora
> test3 repository and update that way instead of downloading the isos?  I
> just figured there is probably a reason not to do that since it seems
> easier but everyone is downloading the isos.

I did that when I updated from RH 9 to Fedora Core 1 - then I had a
system crash because of hardware/kernel issues.  I could not boot from
the RH 9 cdrom either.

At the very minimum, you probably need the first disk to use as a boot
disk, just in case.  If you have more than one machine, it would be
more practical to create the cdroms or the dvd.

jay