Applying Kernel Patch-Errors on FC1

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 28 15:12:38 UTC 2004

On Apr 28, 2004 at 12:37, Murali P in a soothing rage wrote:

>Hello List
>I had earlier reported some compilation errors on
>2.6.3 kernel.This was after applying the patch :
>"packet-2.6.3.patch " to enable packet writing for
>CD-RW.
What kernel source are you using and where is it resident?

>Since then I managed to rectify thoseerrors.I
>recompiled and followed the detailed tips posted in
>this list.All steps got through correctly but "make
>install" failed with the message :
>1)Could not load
>/lib/modules/2.6.3-2.1.204/unsupported/fs/hfs/hfs.ko
>2)Could not load
>/lib/modules/2.6.3-2.1.204custom/modules.dep :No such
>file or directory ' mkinitrd failed' .Next I copied
>the 'bzImage' generated successfully to /boot and
>renamed it as vmlinuz-2.6.3-udf to indicate that the
>image is packet-writing enabled for CD-RW.
When you do this, the kernel name should match what
is in the Makefile and also the modules in /lib/modules.
They cannot have different names. From what I  see above
it seems you have three different versions.

>However, on booting the new kernel image I found that
>all the modules are missing.The old image is also
>giving the same errors.
You never said the modules were installed properly.
If they were not, then the modules.dep may occur.

>I know that I have messed up my FC1 system. I think
>that it has something to do with 2.6.3-2.1.204custom
>directory which is being searched but is
>non-existent.Hence I removed the word  custom from
>EXTRAVERSION=2.6.3-2.1.204custom  line in the top
>level Makefile.
>This does not get my system back to the old state.
> I request for urgent help  in restoration of my
>system.Could some one respond please?
You should have the kernel the system came with...

Say you install the kernel-source rpm, this will install
to /usr/src/linux-<version>. Now you apply the patch to
this and it succeeds. Step 1 safely accomplished. So now
you cd /usr/src/linux-<version> and edit the Makefile.
Since you like your EXTRAVERSION as udf, you add this
as 'EXTRAVERSION = -udf'. Next you do a 'make mrproper'.
Now the source is in a nice clean state. Then
- Copy a 2.6.x config if you have one to
/usr/src/linux-<version>/.config and do 'make oldconfig'
- I then do a'make menuconfig' and recheck _all_ my options.
- 'make clean all'
- 'make modules_install install'
- Check grub.conf and reboot.

If you have problems with these steps, it may happen
because of the options you chose in the 'make menuconfig'
step. Redo from that point on.

HTH.
N.Emile...
Old timer, n.:
	One who remembers when charity was a virtue and not an organization.
 10:48:03  up 38 days, 23:20,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00