i18n woes

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Wed Apr 28 15:18:23 UTC 2004

ok, so here's my problem.

bands like husker du use umlauts (pardon my misspelling, if any) over the
u's in the band name, and bjork has the same deal.  now, i'm trying to sed
those vowels to the english/american versions without the umlaut.

so, i hit freedb.org, grab the discinfo, take the character and put it
into my script with a sed...

so, today i go to copy a husker du album and the umlauts are back, check
the syntax of the script and it's ok.  now, i put the new umlaut in, save
the script and run it, everything's happy now, but the problem is, the
other umlaut characters in my sed's are now garbage in vi.  they've gone
from single characters to multiple characters (and i'm not talking like a
<fc> code, the cursor can hit each of the characters that have replaced
the umlaut vowel)

 sed -e s/'ü'/u/g -e s/'ö'/o/g -e s/'ü'/'u'/g

i'm not sure if you'll be able to read that, but it looks right in my
paste in firefox.

what's a man supposed to do?

-+(duncan brown
-+(duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
-+(http://www.linuxadvocate.net

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy
evidence of the fact.
                -- George Eliot