Early thoughts on FC3

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Apr 28 15:17:04 UTC 2004

2 and 3 are something we've been over a couple times. I agree with 4 5 6
however.

joelja

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, K.M.Zammi Kahan wrote:

> Hi Pals,
>
>             I’ve been using Redhat since release 6 and appreciate it is improved a lot along with the rest of the open source community. Currently I’m using FC test 2 and planning to upgrade to test 3 during the next weekendJ. Some of the features that I like to see in the next release of Fedora (FC3J),
>
> 1. Integrated system configuration interface.
>
>     Although FC has all required config tools, integrated interface needed for centralized configuration.
>
> 2. Incorporate some multimedia tools like Xine/ Mplayer, K3B etc. By the
> time we will have more option like Vediolan’s VLC Player, Helix player
> as well.

legal ipr unecumbered codecs are the problem here.

ogg theora speex flac and shn don't get you very far when you're trying to
access other peoples content.

> 3. Some missing plug-ins like (Flash, JRE etc). Today readers like
> acobat reader & Chm reader (xchm) etc also playing a big role.

macromedia plugins and sun jre aren't distrubuted under a gpl style
liscsense.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu