Early thoughts on FC3

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Apr 28 17:20:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Jay Daniels wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:29:32PM +1000, Daniel Stonier wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:06:04 +0100 (BST), K.M.Zammi Kahan
> > <ezammi at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > >3. Some missing plug-ins like (Flash, JRE etc). Today readers like
> > >acobat reader & Chm reader (xchm) etc also playing a big role.
> >
> > Just curious, why do so many users go and get acrobat reader?
> > I've always just used ghostview/kghostview for pdf files without a problem.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel.
>
> Because for some reason (in the past) x based pdf viewers are slow and
> crash on many pdf documents.

acroread is not the worlds fastest pdf viewer in my experience... it does
load fast enough on my althon 64 that I don't have to twiddle my thumbs
unlike in previous years.

> I have never had any trouble with acrobat for linux except for it's
> old X style window placement covering up the gnome-panel.

it's 1990 style statically linked motif library is getting a little old
frankly.

since it's actually acrobat 4 there are plently of pdf's out there that it
can't read either.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu