Early thoughts on FC3

Daniel Stonier snorri_dj at operamail.com
Wed Apr 28 18:26:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:44:27 -0400, Clint Harshaw
<clint at penguinsolutions.org> wrote:

>> Just curious, why do so many users go and get acrobat reader?
>> I've always just used ghostview/kghostview for pdf files without a
>> problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel.
>>

> Hi Daniel:
>
> I need acroread at the office, because the accounting office requests
> certain forms to be filled in online, prior to printing, signing and
> submitting. I can understand their wanting it done that way, since the
> form carries out the computations for the user, thus reducing errors and
> subsequent delays.
>
> I tried gpdf, xpdf, ghostview and kghostview with a sample form, and was
> unable to complete the form -- if it's possible, please share with us
> how to do it.
>
> Heck, gpdf in FC1 doesn't even have a print option! Odd, considering
> .pdf documents are routinely headed for a printer. <grin> Of course we
> can all type lpr filename.pdf at the terminal prompt, but this is simply
> a glaring omission for a .pdf viewer app.
>
> For large documents with many chapters, acroread has the benefit of
> thumbnails.
>
> Until those features are available in a version that fits with Fedora,
> it's nice to have a choice that will allow us to get our work done.
>
> Hope this answers your question.
> Clint

I had no idea it was used to do forms - never came across it I guess.
I've used it predominantly for reading papers and generating course notes
and papers of our own and for that kghostview worked fine.

The only problem we ever ran across was after creating a pdflatex
document, the rendering in acroread on windows was sometimes really rough.
Rendering in kghostview however was perfect, and printing on both systems
was also fine. However I've not had the chance to track down what's causing
that yet.

Thanks for the info,
Daniel.

email:snorri_dj at operamail.com