3Com 3c2000 NIC support? - FC3?

Dave drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Wed Apr 28 10:04:37 UTC 2004

On my Asus K8V motherboard is a 3-Com 3c2000 NIC.  I have downloaded and compiled the Driver (as far as I can tell, new to this distro) but I am having problems getting it to load with the kernel and trying to configure it. The log file messages had some text relating to the startup of the driver but I cannot access the internet etc.

I followed the instructions to extract the tar, "make load" then "ifconfig eth0 up", but when I go to the network configuration utilities in FC1 I can't find the card or driver.  Nor can I figure out how to load it on boot.  The instructions talk about using "/etc/modules.conf file" or insmod .  Also as I cannot select the NIC I cannot tell if it is set to use DHCP.

>From the readme file
+++++SNIP+++++++++
If your system is not configured for DHCP, you can assign an IP address
with the command:

 ifconfig eth0 a.b.c.d

Where a.b.c.d is the IP address that you wish to use.  Again, eth0 may
be different depending on your system configuration.

Configuring the Driver
------------------------

    The 3C2000 driver supports various options, which can be supplied
    as command line arguments to the 'insmod' command or in the
    /etc/modules.conf file. You may specify more than one option.
    Unless otherwise stated, all settings take the form of:

     <Option-Name>=value [,value...]

    If you use the modules.conf file to load the driver at boot time,
    include the word "options" when configuring the driver.

    For example:
 options 3c2000 DupCap_A=Full

    If you use command line 'insmod', do not include the word "option"
    when configuring the driver.

    For example:
  insmod 3c2000.o DupCap_A=Full

  The following options are supported:

  OPTION: Speed_A
    Selects the speed of Port A of the NIC.

 "Auto" - Automatic Resolution
 "10"   - 10MBPS
 "100"  - 100MBPS
 "1000" - 1GIG

  OPTION: DupCap_A
    Selects the duplex capabilities of Port A of the NIC.

 "Full"  - Full Duplex
 "Half"  - Half Duplex
 "Both" - Both Half Duplex & Full Duplex

I use an old computer with Smoothwall on it which provides the DHCP.

Anyone have some suggestions as to how to I can ge the network running on FC1, or if their is support for this card in FC3?

Thanks
  Dav