Taming the mailing lists?

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Wed Apr 28 20:54:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 13:45:56 PM -0600, Charles Curley (charlescurley at charlescurley.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:00:22PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > If you feel that the Fedora mailing lists are becoming a little
> > unmanageable or are not as valuable as they could be, would you take the
> > time to e-mail me with your thoughts on the problem? (private e-mail is
> > fine) If you think that there's no problem at all, hearing that opinion
> > would be useful too!
>
> One thing that would help: please put a short mnemonic of the version
> of Fedora and relevant package(s) to which you refer in your subject
> line. e.g.:
>
> FC2T3: Squid x.y.z Crashes
> FC1 as updated: OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 Problem

This would just create confusion, I fear. First of all, there are
quite some ways to refer to the same version of the distro: FC2T3,
Fedora test 3, etc.... The real way to do this, if any, would be to
do as with Red Hat, one list per release.

The real problem, however, is that the "triage" you mention below
works to speed things up only if used to answer to well formed
questions (see my other reply to this thread) and ignore all the
others.

> The main reasons for this request is that on high traffic lists,
> folks will triage which emails they will read by the subject line. I
> triage emails by subject line.

Ciao,

Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Knowledge is not information, it's transformation- Osho