Taming the mailing lists?

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Wed Apr 28 22:59:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 10:00, Elliot Lee wrote:
> If you feel that the Fedora mailing lists are becoming a little
> unmanageable or are not as valuable as they could be, would you take the
> time to e-mail me with your thoughts on the problem? (private e-mail is
> fine) If you think that there's no problem at all, hearing that opinion
> would be useful too!

I'm glad you asked.  I was on the list when the daily postings were so
numerous that just getting through the subjects was a real chore.  I
expect when FC2 is release that we see another surge.  I believe that
implementing the following could help reduce the volume and provide
better user satisfaction.  Hopefully these suggestions would be easy to
implement.

1.  Add a FAQ link to the sign up page and or the welcoming message.
Ideally this FAQ is community supported.  Wiki?  There are even a couple
of good Fedora FAQ sites already in existence that could be linked.

2. Also on the sign up screen or the welcoming message, provide some
posting etiquette guidelines.  Just a short list.  There are just too
many flames about posting etiquette.  Make it easy for newbies to get
information.  They'll figure it out in time.

3.  At the bottom of each post add the faq link.

Thanks for asking,
--
Clifford Snow