Please help me be rid of Windows forever!

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Thu Apr 29 01:02:14 UTC 2004

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

>Okay, I'm about to take the plunge.
>
>Up to now I've run RH on my home server (upgrading when FC2 comes out) and
>Win2K as the main OS on the desktop, though I've multi-booted with RH.
>Now the mother board is dying, and I've ordered new hardware (list below).
>Supposedly Win2K doesn't work with SATA drives, and I'm unwilling to pay
>to upgrade to WinXP, so now is the perfect time to move to FC (well,
>perhaps it'd be better to wait until FC2...god, how I'm going to hate
>having to upgrade my OS every six freaking months *sigh*)

You choose... upgrading every six months or reinstalling every time that
a update from m$ crashes the system or a virus/worm destroys it... Or
you can keep multi-boot... (no windows version has out-of-the-box
support with SATA , but it is possible to install it. I've done it once
on w2k... mail me offlist if you want the gory details)

>Okay, here are my questions:
>
>1) Is SATA support working now for either chipset on that motherboard?
>(Intel® ICH5/ICH5R Chipset)

Probably yes. Unless you want to use the raid functions. I have a Nvidia
based motherboard (sil 3112 chipset for SATA) and it works. I remmember
seeing something about the ICH5/5R chipset. On linuxquestions.org there
is a huge thread about linux+sata.. On one of the messages, someone say
that FC2T2 works with this chipset.. Maybe someone else on this list can
give a better answer about this.

>2) Are the other features of the board supported? (USB 2.0, IEEE1394, etc)

USB 2.0 and IEEE1394 are supported out of the box. Dont know about the
onboard audio and lan (probably the lan is supported. I remmember
installing FC1 on a intel motherboard that had gigabit lan and it was
detected and worked perfectly)

>4) My wife has two different digital cameras, a Kodak cheapy and a 1/2
>decent Olympus.  What's the easiest software for her to use to get the
>pictures off of the cameras?

There's gphoto2.. Or , you can tweak updfstab to make it automatically
mount the cameras when they are plugged (this only works if the camera
is supported as usb-storage)

Good luck in your switch...

--
Pedro Macedo