samba client in big workgroup

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Apr 29 07:59:59 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 29.04.2004 schrieb Florian Idelberger um 09:46:

> Workgroup is set probably. But I'll check the hostname, because in
> nmbd.log.1 (the only log with any real output in it) it shouldn't be
> talking about localhost, should it?
> Now that's /var/log/samba/nmbd.log.1:

> >   Samba name server LOCALHOST is now a local master browser for
> > workgroup HAUPTHAUS on subnet 192.168.8.109

Yes, localhost is no good name choice for a host in a network
environment. The line in nmbd.log indicates that the host has not only
no valid NMB hostname but certainly no hostname set and is running as
localhost.localdomain. Check the file /etc/sysconfig/network ->
HOSTNAME=. Set a corresponding line in /etc/hosts too.

For the SMB net, check that only one host will be master browser,
typically the one with most uptime. In smb.conf you can set "os level"
to decide how much chances the Samba host has to win the election
against other (Windows[tm]) machines.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 09:55:47 up 2 days, 8:44, load average: 1.33, 1.55, 1.48
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]