Please help me be rid of Windows forever!

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Thu Apr 29 10:04:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 19:35, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> 3) I use Neo DVD Standard to grab my home movies off of my MiniDV
> camcorder, then use DVD Lab to make the DVDs.  Can I get my movies off of
> my camcorder, and is there video software that's as easy to use as DVD
> Lab?

Kino may be of interest.  Also, there are some programs that work with
GIMP that will help you layout DVD menus, subtitles, etc.

Kino website:
  http://kino.schirmacher.de/

Dag Wieers has Kino built for Fedora Core available via YUM and APT:
  http://dag.wieers.com/packages/kino/

Article on DVD Authoring under Linux:

> 4) My wife has two different digital cameras, a Kodak cheapy and a 1/2
> decent Olympus.  What's the easiest software for her to use to get the
> pictures off of the cameras?

I just insert/remove the memory cards on my camera.  Obviously only
viable if the camera uses memory cards.  And not as elegant if the
camera has a nice docking station.  There are easily dozens of posts on
the topic in this list's archives.

> 5) The only game I play is Neverwinter Nights.  Has anybody tried this?
> Supposedly it'll work, but I'm wondering if anybody's got practical
> experience.

Neverwinter Nights works wonderfully for me.  The hard part is finding a
stable video card with good 3D performance.

My favorite video card was a dual-head Radeon 7500 with TV output.  I
curse myself daily for selling it.  I currently have a Nvidia GeForce2
MX400 based card.  The Nvidia frequently makes me want to put my fist
through things.  It does work great when it works, though.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/