SATA on Linux vs. WinXP WAS Help me to get rid of windows forever

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Thu Apr 29 11:20:57 UTC 2004

> >1) Is SATA support working now for either chipset on that motherboard?
> >(Intelâ–’ ICH5/ICH5R Chipset)
> >
> Probably yes. Unless you want to use the raid functions. I have a Nvidia
> based motherboard (sil 3112 chipset for SATA) and it works. I remmember
> seeing something about the ICH5/5R chipset. On linuxquestions.org there
> is a huge thread about linux+sata.. On one of the messages, someone say
> that FC2T2 works with this chipset.. Maybe someone else on this list can
> give a better answer about this.

I found a page on Intel's site that said that newer kernels support SATA
on the ICH5 chipset, but only in legacy mode:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-006312-prd40.htm

Whereas MSI (the manufacturer of the motherboard I've got on order) states
that WinXP can do SATA in Native mode.

1) Is there any advantage to running in Native mode? (IOW, is it worth it
to purchase WinXP?)

2) Does anybody know if Native mode support is coming to linux?

Ben