RHCE

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 29 15:07:50 UTC 2004

Chadley Wilson wrote:

>Dear friends,
>
>My company has decided to send me for Linux training. The boss wants me
>to do the relevant training to bring our company up to speed with IBM
>and and other major PC brands that are selling Linux on there PCs for
>end users.
>
>So I did some research and the outcome was to do the course through
>Obsidian systems in South Africa (Where I live).
>They are offering the Redhat Certified Engineer(RHCE),Supposed to be one
>of the top IT qualifications.
>
>Now the boss wants to know how to tell if this is the the correct
>course.
>And he wants to know if we shouldn't maybe go down the SUSE route.
>
>My question is a difficult one because I need to justify and prove prior
>to actually going on the course that RHCE would be the right way to go.
>I have already mentioned that RedHat base platforms are by far more
>widely supported than any other distro and that FC will be the best for
>us to use on our our hardware because it is very configurable and has
>such great hardware support.
>But one has to bear in mind that I am trying to explain this to a person
>who has no idea of computers and operating systems let alone Linux.
>
>Could some one point me in the direction of some good justifications for
>my choice? or point me in a new direction altogether.
>Either way, I have just got to give him a very convincing answer.
>
>Thanks

I don't have a convincing argument for you but just something to mention..

I was told that unless you are pretty hot with *nix the RHCE is a real
bitch to pass.. So it was recommended that I look at the LPI and Comptia
Linux courses as a foundation before heading to the RHCE..

Unfortunately I haven't had time to do anything about it so I havenet
actually done any of the courses but I thought I would just pass on what
I was told..

I would also look out for the Novell Linux courses, in my opinion Novell
have always produced really good courses.. If I know Novell they will be
working flat out to get the Linux certification track up and running (if
they haven't done it already) and chances are that it will become as
good a certification as the RHCE if not better.. Unfortunately it will
probably have a strong leaning to Suse but hey nobody's perfect.. :)

Later..