RHCE

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser at pmbenterprises.com
Thu Apr 29 15:40:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 11:28, duncan brown wrote:
> Chadley Wilson said:
>
> > My company has decided to send me for Linux training. The boss wants me
> > to do the relevant training to bring our company up to speed with IBM
> > and and other major PC brands that are selling Linux on there PCs for
> > end users.
>
> http://www.lpi.org
>
> it's harder than rhce, not distribution centric, and well respected from
> what i understand.
>
> -d

I concur, however, I would strongly suggest in picking an accredited
training source from their Website. I made the mistake of buying a
program from Smart Certify Direct (http://www.smartcertify.com/) Stay
away from them!!!! These people rooked me out of $800 for a learning
program that can *only* be run under Windows, I.E. and Microsoft's own
version of Java. I was lied to by their sales people that this program
would run under *any* Java running platform, under Linux, and that it
had all the same on-line classroom features as their other programs.
It's a really terrible working program, buggy at best. It also makes
very little sense to be learning the most technical aspects of running
Linux in Windows. IMHO. I couldn't even get through it because of its
kludge interface and inability to allow me to bookmark important areas.

I could go on an on about why they are not the people to do this
through, but with this strong warning comes a whole-hearted
recommendation that your first certification be one that is not
distribution concentric, as Duncan has already stated. Hopefully, you
will see the value of a LPI certification, but through one of LPI's
certified sources.

Paul