Applying Kernel Patch-Errors on FC1

Murali P linuxmurali_48 at yahoo.co.in
Thu Apr 29 15:56:25 UTC 2004

 --- "ne..." <akabi at speakeasy.net> wrote: > On Apr 28,
2004 at 12:37, Murali P in a soothing
> [...]
>
> >Hello List
> >I had earlier reported some compilation errors on
> >2.6.3 kernel.This was after applying the patch :
> >"packet-2.6.3.patch " to enable packet writing for
> >CD-RW.
> What kernel source are you using and where is it
> resident?
>
> >Since then I managed to rectify thoseerrors.I
> >recompiled and followed the detailed tips posted in
> >this list.All steps got through correctly but "make
> >install" failed with the message :
> >1)Could not load
>
>/lib/modules/2.6.3-2.1.204/unsupported/fs/hfs/hfs.ko
>
> >2)Could not load
> >/lib/modules/2.6.3-2.1.204custom/modules.dep :No
> such
> >file or directory ' mkinitrd failed' .Next I copied
> >the 'bzImage' generated successfully to /boot and
> >renamed it as vmlinuz-2.6.3-udf to indicate that
> the
> >image is packet-writing enabled for CD-RW.
> When you do this, the kernel name should match what
> is in the Makefile and also the modules in
> /lib/modules.
> They cannot have different names. From what I  see
> above
> it seems you have three different versions.
>
> >However, on booting the new kernel image I found
> that
> >all the modules are missing.The old image is also
> >giving the same errors.
> You never said the modules were installed properly.
> If they were not, then the modules.dep may occur.
>
> >I know that I have messed up my FC1 system. I think
> >that it has something to do with
> 2.6.3-2.1.204custom
> >directory which is being searched but is
> >non-existent.Hence I removed the word  custom from
> >EXTRAVERSION=2.6.3-2.1.204custom  line in the top
> >level Makefile.
> >This does not get my system back to the old state.
> > I request for urgent help  in restoration of my
> >system.Could some one respond please?
> You should have the kernel the system came with...
>
> Say you install the kernel-source rpm, this will
> install
> to /usr/src/linux-<version>. Now you apply the patch
> this and it succeeds. Step 1 safely accomplished. So
> now
> you cd /usr/src/linux-<version> and edit the
> Makefile.
> Since you like your EXTRAVERSION as udf, you add
> this
> as 'EXTRAVERSION = -udf'. Next you do a 'make
> mrproper'.
> Now the source is in a nice clean state. Then
> - Copy a 2.6.x config if you have one to
> /usr/src/linux-<version>/.config and do 'make
> oldconfig'
> - I then do a'make menuconfig' and recheck _all_ my
> options.
> - 'make clean all'
> - 'make modules_install install'
> - Check grub.conf and reboot.
>
> If you have problems with these steps, it may happen
> because of the options you chose in the 'make

Thanks a lot.Your prescription worked.Packet writing
is enabled on my CDRW device when I rebooted with the
new bzImage copied as vmlinuz-2.6.3-udf under /boot.
But strangely (or is it not?) 'make install' failed
with the messages : "mkinitrd failed" and "could not
load /lib/modules/2.6.3-2.1.204custom/modules.dep:No
such file or directory ".
Although system is fine,but what is the meaning of
such error messages?
Once again I thank you very much.
Murali