[OT] Laptops with Linux

john.rehmert at speakeasy.net john.rehmert at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 29 16:28:05 UTC 2004

>I know this is off topic but I'm not sure who else to turn to.  I'm looking
to buy a bunch of low-cost laptop/notebook
>computers and would rather not pay for MS software that I'm not going to
use.  I don't care if they don't have Linux already
>installed.  In fact, as long as I know they will work with FC1/2, I'd
rather get one set up and clone it to all the others.

>The big name brands don't seem to be much help.  Even IBM, with all their
Linux talk, puts Windows on all their ThinkPads, as
>far as I can tell.  Of course, if I won't save anything, I might as well
just bite the bullet and get what I get.  It rankles,
>that's all and I *SHOULD* be able to save something.

I've been using a Sager 5670 for the past year and it's run flawlessly with
Windows 2000/Redhat 9 (dual boot), Windows XP/Redhat 9 (dual boot), Fedora
Core 1, and now Windows XP/Fedora Core 1 (dual boot).  Their kinda pricey
compared to the big boys (Dell, IBM, etc), but they make some great hardware
combinations (AlienWare uses Sager hardware).

Check them out at www.sagernotebooks.com and you can buy one at
www.pctorque.com - they are great...