Setting Up Video Server

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at warpdrive.net
Thu Apr 29 18:23:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 14:10, Jon Shorie wrote:
> The next project that I am working on is to set up a web based video server
> using Fedora Core 1 as the O/S.  My plan is to use apache to offer a
> selection of videos which may be downloaded and viewed.
>
> All videos are ones that we have taken here of our projects.  They are
> currently stored as dvd's and if we want to view one, we need to find the dvd
> and watch it.
>
> I would like for the user to be able to take a screen shot and print it out to
> either a color laser or a plotter.  (We have both printers currently).
>
> Is something like this possible without some special software.  The server
> will be only accessible on our intranet so security is not a major issue for
> this project.

Sounds sketchy, but here goes...

Rip your 'DVDs' to mpeg format (Yes they'll be big).  You can setup
apache as normal and can stream the mpeg.  Set up a page that has the
cover art with a link to print..hell use javascript on the webpage to
print it. add a link for the video... most browsers will open and stream
an mpeg.

Use transcode to rip the DVD's.  How do you capture the video of your
projects? It would be easier and faster to transcode the raw capture
file instead of reading from a DVD drive.