SATA on Linux vs. WinXP WAS Help me to get rid of windows forever

Bob Gorman bob at rsi.com
Thu Apr 29 19:15:38 UTC 2004

At 02:54 PM 4/29/2004, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:

>> I found a page on Intel's site that said that newer kernels support SATA
>> on the ICH5 chipset, but only in legacy mode:
>>
>> http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-006312-prd40.htm
>>
>> Whereas MSI (the manufacturer of the motherboard I've got on order) states
>> that WinXP can do SATA in Native mode.
>>
>> 1) Is there any advantage to running in Native mode? (IOW, is it worth it
>> to purchase WinXP?)
>>
>> 2) Does anybody know if Native mode support is coming to linux?
>
>Enhanced SATA (not Legacy) already works in Fedora Core and RHL 8,0/9
>with newer kernels.  I had to install RHL 8.0 in Legacy mode, then I
>could upgrade the kernel and use Enhanced mode.
>
>I think that the Legacy in BIOS bit was a part of another solution.

Enhanced ICH5 is fine in Enhanced Mode with SATA.  It's the RAID option (ICH5R) that requires Legacy Mode to work.  I just use software RAID instead. The ICH5R isn't true hardware RAID anyway, from what I've read.

--

I build Linux business solutions in the Boston area.
mailto:bob(at)rsi.com, http://www.rsi.com/, 617.965.1700