SATA on Linux vs. WinXP WAS Help me to get rid of windows forever

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Apr 29 19:28:33 UTC 2004

Bob Gorman wrote:

>>>I found a page on Intel's site that said that newer kernels support SATA
>>>on the ICH5 chipset, but only in legacy mode:
>>>
>>>http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-006312-prd40.htm
>>>
>>>Whereas MSI (the manufacturer of the motherboard I've got on order) states
>>>that WinXP can do SATA in Native mode.
>>>
>>>1) Is there any advantage to running in Native mode? (IOW, is it worth it
>>>to purchase WinXP?)
>>>
>>>2) Does anybody know if Native mode support is coming to linux?
>>
>>Enhanced SATA (not Legacy) already works in Fedora Core and RHL 8,0/9
>>with newer kernels.  I had to install RHL 8.0 in Legacy mode, then I
>>could upgrade the kernel and use Enhanced mode.
>>
>>I think that the Legacy in BIOS bit was a part of another solution.
>

> Enhanced ICH5 is fine in Enhanced Mode with SATA.  It's the RAID option (ICH5R) that requires Legacy Mode to work.  I just use software RAID instead. The ICH5R isn't true hardware RAID anyway, from what I've read.

Doesn't software raid also have more tools for recovery?  Less
hardware dependent?

I set up my new computer with software raid after reading the about
the above points.  I took what I read to be true.

BTW, the FC1 kernel did recognize my SATA controller (SI) and the raid
that I set up with the BIOS.  I removed the HW raid after reading
about recovery and raid tools.

--
Robin Laing