DHCP reserve IPs

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Apr 29 20:02:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Benton E. Cole wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 13:13, Matthew Benjamin wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to reserve IPs in DHCP , or do you just not
> > include them? Maybe that's a dum question - hummmm???
> >
> I wouldn't say dumb...  Here is how to assign addresses to hosts using
> dhcp:
>
> host hostname
> 	{
> 	fixed-address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;
> 	hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
> 	}
>
> This is placed after the subnet, range and option definitions in th
> dhcpd.conf file. You can avoid this by not including the address(es) in
> the range. I do believe there is or used to be a reserve command but I
> can't remember offhand. Maybe man dhcpd.conf will reveal it.

This reminds me of a question.  I have a laptop with two interfaces
(wired and wireless).  I would like to have the machine get the same
address whichever interface it uses.  I tried

      host hostname
      {
      fixed-address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;
      hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
      hardware ethernet yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy;
      }

and I thought it used to work, but now only yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy is assigned
the fixed address.  Instead, xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx gets a pool address.
Should this work, and if not, is there a way to accomplish what I want?

Thanks.

--

		Matthew Saltzman
		Clemson University Math Sciences