Auto invoke browser upon wvdial successful Internet connection

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Thu Apr 29 20:26:54 UTC 2004

Barry Yu wrote:

> I want to activate the Mozilla  browsing ONLY WHEN INTERNET CONNECTION
> IS SUCCESSFULLY ESTABLISHED by WVDIAL, could any one advice or point
> me to right place of a how-to, I am not good at script (yet), if there
> is one, would really appreciate, Thanks.

Assuming that wvdial is *eventually* handing stuff off to ppp [which it
appears WVDial does], you could do the following:

create a file /etc/ppp/ip-up.local that is a shell script to do whatever
you want.

As an example, ddclient is a client for Dynamic DNS Service providers
[such as dyndns.org].  DDClient [which can be installed via yum install
ddclient.  The example is placed in
/usr/share/doc/ddclient-3.6.3/sample-etc_ppp_ip-up.local by default]
comes with a ip-up.local script that will update DDNS based on your new
IP address that you receive when you connect via PPP.

You could put other items in there, such as launching Mozilla with
various preferences, etc..

Hope that helps...

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -