FC1: efax: 23:00 Error: can't open pre-lock file

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Apr 29 20:30:52 UTC 2004

efax: 23:00 Error: can't open pre-lock file /var/lock/TMP..06533: Permission denied

That was the 1st error I got when attempting to run efax via the fax send
script. I'm not sure it was wise to add user write permissions to
/var/lock but I did.

The next attempt didn't show an error until it tried to open the modem.

efax: 00:38 Error: can't open serial port /dev/modem: Permission denied

I'm also not sure it was wise to add user read/write permissions to
/dev/modem but I did.

Now "fax send" works! except that if the receiving fax doesn't answer it
doesn't time out. (it just sits there with a slow beep pause beep...) When
I heard the phone company recording say "to make a call ..." I used ^C to
end the script. The next attempt was a complete success.

But I'm concerned.

A) Why did I have to modify the permissions on /var/lock and /dev/modem?
  A2) How much of a security problem did I just create?
  A3) Is there a better fix?

B) Shouldn't there be a dialing timeout setting? I'd rather not feel I
   have to babysit it while it's sending a fax...

Any all clues appreciated...