Network Card SMC2635W (ADM8211 Chipset) Setup

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Thu Apr 29 22:46:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 16:29, Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Thursday 29 April 2004 14:07, Ian Wallace wrote:
> > I've searched the archives and tried numerous things however I don't
> > seem to be able to get my wireless card to work with Fedora Core 1.
> >
> > I've downloaded the driver source from ADMtek and compiled it using the
> > kernel sources for the kernel I'm running (2188.nptl).  That works ok,
> > and when I pop in the card I can see in /var/log/messages that it
> > recognizes the card, and loads the 8211 driver.
> >
> > Beyond that though ... nothing.  The power / activity light comes on, it
> > tries to associated itself with eth0 however never receives an IP from
> > the access point.
> >
> > I've tried the wireless howto's and am a i bit confused if this should
> > be showing up as wlan0 or eth0, or eth1.  Would someone be so kind as to
> > point me the correct direction for information on how to configure
> > this?  Or where else things might be going wrong?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > ian
> >
> > --
> > Ian Wallace <iwallace at eforceglobal.com>
>

> What devices show up when you run redhat-config-network?
> Mayby you need to restart networking as well

I had to do some failure analysis on some wireless systems some time ago
and found that there are at least a few "standards" and even cards from
different manufacturers supposedly using the same standard may not work
with each other (Google it I did).
The key point then, is first make sure that your card(s) will actually
work on your wireless network.
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>