RHCE

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Thu Apr 29 23:39:19 UTC 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Christopher Chan wrote:
>

>>Since I didn't take any of the RH1xx or 2xx courses, I cannot really say
>>much. The RH300 is rather disappointing in that respect...the instructor
>>really did not teach much, I felt, except go over the material and
>>through the practicals.
>>
>>So at best it was exposing you to new areas covered by the exam like you
>>say...
>

> while it was some time back, the rationale for the RH300 was a rapid-fire
> coverage of all the topics you needed for the RHCE exam.  it was meant to
> amalgamate all of the content in the RH033, RH133 and RH253 courses in
> a single 4-day boot camp, if you will.
>
> its goal seemed more as a review, as in, "here's all the stuff you're
> going to need" and to fill in any gaps you had.  it was most emphatically
> not for those people who needed to *learn* all that stuff.  if you didn't
> know the vast majority of that stuff already, you were definitely in the
> wrong place.
>
> rday

Oh was that it? It did kinda make the point that it was for preparing
for the RHCE.

I guess then the whole RHCE thing just proved disappointing....only
because a student I had asked me whether I had taken the RHCE and then
told the class that his company or he heard that a company sent a bunch
of people, which was about a dozen if I remember, to take the FULL RHCE
stuff right from RH1xx at a cost of like 50K HKD per person. The result?

Only 2 got a 'passing' grade but not enough to get the RHCE while the
rest flunked. The only person who did get the cert was a non HK guy
called Alan (figures eh? HK people then to use cram books in preparation
for exams you see) who setup Hong Kong Linux Center.